University and College Union
We call upon UCU to move the following motion at next year's TUC congress:
To halt climate change we need drastic cuts in the amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases put into the air. That means leaving most of the existing reserves of high carbon fuels in the ground. We need workers to insulate and retrofit homes and buildings to conserve energy. Workers to build enough renewable power to meet all our energy needs. And workers to maintain the new systems the future of humanity depends on.
Congress commits the TUC to develop an active energy and climate change strategy, and to work with other organisations to campaign for:
- Energy democracy and a rapid transition from fossil fuels, including a ban on all Fracking.
- A stop to airport expansion
- Promotion of alternatives to short-haul flights, including publicly owned rail in UK and Europe
- A genuine commitment to reducing lethal air pollutants
- A just transition employment strategy to climate jobs and well-paid, skilled, sustainable employment
- Improved links between anti-war, refugee and climate campaign movements.
- Action against TTIP, CETA and other trade treaties threatening climate justice
- A Climate Justice Fund funded by wealthy nations and polluting companies.